Thursday, September 18, 2008

IKE

We've had a lot of e-mails and calls since Ike made his presence known on his way through Houston. We appreciate the love and concern from each of you. I thought I would give an update here for all to read.

We decided not to evacuate for Hurricane Ike. Our area was asked to "hunker down"* since we weren't in a flood zone.

Ike was a crazy storm!! I think it hit a lot harder than we expected. Our neighborhood took a pretty good hit and sustained a lot of damage. Lots of trees and power lines came down. Our home was blessed with very little damage. We lost an eight foot section of our fence and three of our little trees fell over but all are already fixed.

Unfortunatley we are one of the 22% of people who don't have power back yet. Tonight at midnight will mark our 13th day without power. The Centerpoint website says our neighborhood should have power back by Sunday. We are hoping it will be sooner since there have been a lot of work trucks in the neighborhood.

I wish I could say I was tough enough to handle it and was still in Houston but I am not. The kids and I came up to Chicago last Tuesday. Our side of the street was also having sewage problems and that was the last straw for me.

We will post some pictures after I get home and our power is restored.

Thanks again for all of your calls and e-mails to check on us!

*For you non-Texans out there. Hunker down means to shelter in place :)

13 comments:

Darrell and Alissa said...

FINALLY!!! I can't believe you have had this blog for so long and didn't tell! Your kids are beautiful! Glad everything was ok for you guys there. By the time Ike got to us it was a tropical storm and the winds were only 50 mph- I don't know how you guys made it through 100 mph winds- we were terrified!!I would have left if sewage was backing up also!

Deanne said...

You stayed longer than I would have! Hope you're enjoying your stay in Chicago.

Becky said...

I'm glad you are all o.k. and I too would go elsewhere in such situations. We're in Utah now and Chris just accepted a job in Provo, yikes! So, we have to move from Ogden, where we are now living in my parent's house, to somewhere in Utah Valley. I HATE moving. Take care and I hope that power comes back on and whatever they do with sewage just goes away.

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

I was wondering how you guys were doing. I'm glad everything is (mostly) okay. Good luck!

Alison B said...

i would have been out of there, too!!! I think you are lucky you had a place to go! glad you are safe. are you home yet?

Pete said...

You left Pete to fend for himself? Is he up for the challenge? Is he still around?

Dani said...

Yeah...glad to see you posting! :) Now you can get me back for exploiting your children on my blog all this time! hehehe!

pedroman said...

Yes, Pete, Pete is around (this is me in fact) - I survived and live on to tell of the horrific 14 days without such basic necessities as ESPN or cold Diet Coke. Actually, I had access to a generator so the diet coke was chilled.

But still, what good is cold diet coke if you can't drink it on the couch in front of 24-hour sports programming?

For those of you confused by the dueling Petes(like my own wife of 9.1 years), Pete the commenter is the great Pete Broadbent. Pete the poster is the mediocre Pete Fontano, and is listed as pedroman on this blog.

Brynn said...

We are glad all is well with the fontees!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Those extra exclamation points were for you, pedroman...)

Crystal said...

Hey, I found your blog and thought I'd see what you have been up to since I never talk to you anymore with the ward split!

We were also one of the last people to get our power and I was going crazy! Luckily it came on the day before we had Noah!

Darrell and Alissa said...

OK Fontano's it's time for some more pictures! What do you think you are busy or something?!

Jason DeMarco said...

I saw your blog and just had to say hi! I am so glad that everyone is okay.

Unknown said...

glad you guys are ok!