Friday, January 23, 2009

2009 Update

I figure I'll get this update in now at the first of the year so we're good for the next 6 months or so. I want to dedicate this entry to a personal friend and inspiration, the best male blogger I know - Pete Broadbent. You know you've earned it.

We've had a mellow past few months, nothing too exciting to report. When your last entry is 'We survived a freaking hurricane', somehow chronicling our weekly trips to the grocery store just doesn't seem to be blog worthy, even with the occasional movie rental on a special week. We really have mismanaged expectations here. I blame myself - I should have known better.

It's like my theory for birthday parties for the kids. You've got to start very small, offering almost nothing - no friends, maybe a cake but only if it's carrot, meaningless gifts that you pick up for free at tradeshows or in hotel rooms, etc. Then every year you can add a little something something to make the celebration even better than the year before. A friend may be allowed. Frosting may be added to the cake. Maybe a balloon or two. By the time your child is 16, he or she will be thrilled just to have store-bought invitations and Hawaiian Punch.

But if you make the critical error that most parents seem to make of hiring a clown, renting an inflatable jump castle, allowing live animals of any kind, dropping $281 in Party City for balloons and other decorations, purchasing extravagant gifts like bicycles or video game consoles, inviting enough kids to populate the Children's Choir of Omaha, offering free curbside valet; all this when your child turns 4 - well, then my friend, by the time he's 16, half of the high school will be invited to the lakeside condo you rented to hear the private Jonas Brothers concert you had to pony up for. That will be the expectation anyway, hence the show My Super Sweet 16 on MTV. You've got to set yourself up to be able to improve, allow some wiggle room, see.

Now, we have fallen into the birthday party trap just like everyone else. But only because my wife of 9.6 years is so weak when it comes to these matters. I tried to convince her we should actually pretend to forget the kids' birthday for a couple of years just to help them really appreciate the giant numeral 7 candle when they finally got it. Alas, my arguments fell on deaf ears.

Anyway, I'm going to post a bit more this year. It's a goal for 2009 (and it only took me 23 days to start!) Maybe it'll end next week like all of my other goals for the new year, maybe it will last a couple of months. Who knows. Maybe, just maybe, I'll make an entry every week that will blow your very mind such that you'll monitor our humble blog with unwavering hourly regularity because you just can't wait for the next masterpiece to unfold right before your thirsty blood-red eyes. But in the spirit of managing expectations, I wouldn't count it.

Happy New Year to you all and a much belated Merry Christmas!

8 comments:

Pete said...

Welcome back Pedroman. I appreciate the dedication. First time I have ever been mentioned by name in someone else's blog. I'm almost giddy with the sudden fame.

Great point on managing expectations. It's a common trap to start off too strong - look at President Obama. He's set expectations pretty dang high and it's bound to catch up with him. Of course it's difficult to win presidential elections by promising carrot cake and Gideon's Bibles.

Speaking of which I do remember taking Jeffrey to one of your kid's parties. Wow, what a production. I wouldn't have been surprised to find an actual scale-model pirate ship in the backyard.

Alison B said...

well well well...welcome back! Hope you can keep up with your resolution! WE'd love to hear about you guys and see pictures!

Darrell and Alissa said...

I almost fell out of my chair- an update on the Fontano's?! Glad you are going to try and keep up the blogging- it is time consuming, but really fun for those who live far away to know how you are doing. Darrell whole heartedly agree's with you Pete on how birthday's hould be, good thing you both have smart wives who know how to throw REAL parties!!:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Pete! Darris Garner here. I'm not sure if you remember me from the University Ward back in Vegas, but I remember you as one of the best drummers around. My wife Pattie says she knows you because you were at her baptism. I found you on Darrell and Alissa's blog. It's good to read about your family and see what you guys are up to. Come check out our blog, maybe you'll remember who we are.

Pete said...

You were a drummer Pete? This seems worthy of a post.

Prince Family said...

Tara!!! It's Sarah (Call) Prince, I have finally entered the blogging world. So fun to see you and your cute little family.

Jen said...

Tara!!!!! HI!!!!!!! Hi Pete!!!! I found you from Alissa's blog. How are you? I can't believe I lost track of you! Is that seriously your house!?!?! Gorgeous. And Jeremy, he's so big. WE have a son named Jeremy too!

miss you guys

Unknown said...

I guess you could go with Jefferson Airplane as well,it would add more fun to it
Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step